Monday 25 August 2008

I've been a little out of commission lately. This is because I got two of my wisdom teeth out last week. The picture to the right shows a little bit of swelling on the right side of it. It hurt.

I did not go with the conventional dentist-oral surgeon route, however. No, I instead took part in a study for post-op pain at this mad scientist lab in Austin. All I had to do was go through a screening process and stay overnight on the day of the surgery...and they paid me $400!

Yep, I'm officially a lab rat but all in all it wasn't so bad. It did suck because I definitely received the placebo drug after surgery and I had to wait about an hour and a half before I got the "rescue medication" pain-killers. Oh well, it taught me a little about my pain threshold I guess.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

And exactly where is that threshold located, son? My pain threshold is level with the floor.

Anonymous said...

Also, I'm glad you got the placebo because who knows what the side effects some experimental medication would have left you with??

Bren said...

Actually, the experimental drug was just an extra strong Bayer aspirin...or something like that.

Anonymous said...

Nah, they don't want you taking aspirin before or immediately after a tooth removal. Makes you a bleeder. They will actually usually ask you if you have taken any aspirin or are on any kind of blood thinner medicine before the extraction. So not an extra strong aspirin, but maybe extra strong Tylenol-like perhaps.

Gabriel Beal said...

That's true...no aspirin before or after surgery, I bet! Too bad you got the placebo...did you get the surgery done for free too? That's a great deal! Paid $400 to get surgery and (eventual) pain meds. Wow!
-Shirin

Anonymous said...

Have mercy; you've got to do something about the sad picture...

Anonymous said...

You don't look nearly as much like Michael Phelps (4 out of 5 people say you do favor) in this picture.

Unknown said...

what'd you spend the money on?!